Tuesday 6 May 2014

Morning adventures with Chewy

In the last couple of months I have been almost daily taking our dog, Chewy, out for a walk.  We do a circuit of our hill and we both enjoy it a lot.

Most times the walks are uneventful but there are occasions that are not.  I especially like going out in the early morning as it is quieter and its an opportunity, after J and Z have gone to school, to spend some time chatting with the Lord.  However, a couple of times its been quite the walk.  Last week as I was on the homeward stretch I was aware of a commotion up ahead.  I put Chewy on the lead and surveyed the situation.  A mama (couldn't describe her any other way) came up from a side road waving a big stick  She looked like she had just taken a shower as she was only wearing a kanga (wrap) and not much else.  She was a mama on a mission. Not far from her was about 5 people surrounding one young man.  As I got closer she started hitting him with the stick.  I shouted at them but got an earful in Luganda...I guess a brief translation would be "mind your own business" but I have a feeling it was of the less polite variety.  One of the men kindly translated for me that he had been caught stealing in the neighbourhood and so the "neighbourhood watch" were seeing that he was punished for his crimes.  It wasn't easy to watch and Chewy wasn't impressed either as she growled at them all.  However, I knew if I got the "higher ups" involved he would be worse off.  I prayed that he had learned his lesson from "Mama and her stick" and that he wouldn't be caught doing it again.

As I walked further on I came across a snake.  Thankfully the snake had met its end under the tyre of a car before I got there.  Sorry to all you snake lovers out there.  I still haven't worked out what is a harmless green snake and what is a potentially harmful green mamba as they both look similar.   Thankfully I didn't have to do anything about it.  We made it home and began the rest of our.....just another day in Africa...

No comments: