Friday 17 February 2012

School run challenge

A good thing about the dry season is that I don't need to normally worry about getting stuck in mud on the school runs and having to get out and push cars etc.  However, this morning was a bit different.  The road to school is under construction with no real rhyme or reason as to how it is being done.  Everyday you drive it there is always some surprise in how it looks.  Yesterday when I went to pick up the children I wasn't sure I was going to make it with all the mud and piles of dirt but fortunately did.  This morning I thought I would take a back road to school which is narrow but passable.  It seems like a lot of other people thought the same so we sat in a traffic jam for a bit.  The dust was amazing and on the way down one road you couldn't see the car in front it was like a sand storm. (Just waiting for all of us to get coughs and colds now :()

Anyway we finally ran the gauntlet and made it to school in one piece.  I decided to try the main dirt road which is currently under construction to see if it was any easier but alas no.  Further ahead I could see cars spinning in the dirt and lying at funny angles.  A kind gentleman directed me to a "short cut" but I decided, after my car turned sideways in the mud,  to turn around and go the long way round.  On the way up that road I was directed along a narrow entry between two houses passing somebody's washing which wasn't going to look too white by the end, over tree roots and then it got a bit tricky because the turning I wanted was blocked by two cars so I carried on thinking I would find my way out.  Thankfully I did although I ended up where I started on the road where all the cars were stuck in the mud.  On the way there I went through a pot hole which made me lose my stomach like on a roller coaster.  Wasn't quite expecting that!  However, I managed to slide my way through the mud and do the circuit through the ladies washing again and make it home in one piece.  Who said living in Africa isn't fun!  I was hoping to take some photos on the ways but I needed both hands to drive :)

No comments: