Monday 2 February 2009

It's that time of year again...

We all woke up at 5:30am this morning with yet another storm crashing overhead. Joshua and Zara were all dressed and ready to go to school by 6:15am! Joshua kept asking is it time to go yet to which the reply was NO there is still another hour and 15 minutes left. I was just praying that the rain would stop and dry up somewhat for the usual 10 minute journey to school. If not then it was going to be a interesting one. Well we managed to get to school fine although it was quite muddy. As I was leaving school I decided to go the back way. I didn't get too far up the road before I was met with chaos. Cars were stuck and others trying to pass one another on a very muddy, slippy road. I decided to back down the way I came and go the "main road". This, of course, was no better as it was really muddy and it had started to rain hard again. As I looked up the road to see what it was like I was met with more chaos. There was one lady stuck on one side of the road, a small car behind her spinning his wheels with mud flying and other one trying to pass on the opposite side and the wheels kept sliding into the ditch. This road is only a one track murram road too but it had turned into a "mud" rink. We weren't going anywhere. Finally the guy in front who was the father of one of the little boys in Zara's class got out to see what he could do as well as myself. In the end he drove the ladies car out that was stuck in the mud fishtailing all the way. The second car wasn't going anywhere so we shoved some rocks and stones under the tyres and tried to push him out but to no avail. Finally we both got in our cars and reversed down the hill. Of course there always has to be some hero who thinks his car is better. This particular car came charging down the hill thinking he could pass all the mayhem only for him to get stuck and come within in a few cm's of touching the other cars. I think he learned his lesson when he was given a few "encouraging" words as to the error of his ways. Anyway we all made it home safely albeit slightly muddy. Just another day in Africa!!!

No comments: