Thursday 7 June 2007

Pam and the Rooster go head to head

This morning I was thinking that I should really update our blog with a story but wasn't sure what that story was going to be. Well after having that thought an opportunity presented itself in quite a dramatic fashion.
Please bear in mind that most of this story happened before 8am and it made me wonder what was in store for me the rest of the day :)
Joshua and Zara had gone out to play as is usual before I take Joshua to school. The next thing they are both back in the house excitedly telling me that the rooster had got out of its coop. I went to have a look and sure enough there was the rooster strutting around the garden liked he owned it. The next thing chewy started chasing it in fun (she could have killed the rooster if she had wanted to) and then the two of them started fighting one another. It was quite hilarious to watch especially when chewy got ahold of the rooster's tail and chased it round the garden. The rooster put up a good fight before chewy got bored of the game.
Well I was about ready to put Joshua and Zara in the car both of whom wanted carried to the car in case the rooster turned on them. Anyway I got them both in the car and went to open the gate as I was going back to the car the rooster attacked me. It was doing running leaps at me. It took me quite by surprise and before I knew it I had lost two sandals in the fight to escape its wrath and then dived into the car. I was now sitting in the car with no sandals on and having to take Joshua and his friends to school. I figured that the rooster might have got bored of "playing" so I got out the car but picked up a stick just in case it thought it was only round 1. I managed to retrieve my sandals which had been launched in two different directions and made my way back to the car. The next thing I know is the psychologically deranged rooster is making a beeline for me again. This time I was ready for it. A few whacks with the stick didn't deter it though and it kept fighting back. I managed to get in the car again along with the stick. Anybody seeing me must have thought I had gone mad. Well I wish I could tell you that that was the end of the story but its not. On my return from dropping the kids off at school the rooster had another go at me. This time he is relentless in his attack and I am using my trusty stick to defend myself while calling the MAF Office Manager to ask if the dayguard could come and help me get it. Thankfully the MAF Office is just across the road so Chris is not long in coming. He managed to grab it and then we put it in the chicken house and locked the door. Chris was definately my hero today. The rooster will be no longer as of tonight. Our nightguard Moses will be given it as a gift as he looked after it for us while we were gone and the original owners don't want it back now. So everyone benefits. I am free from its harassment and Moses and his family enjoy a fresh chicken dinner.

2 comments:

Straight Rows said...

What exactly is it with you and farm animals,Pam? If I remember correctly you had a go around with some Mama cows and their baby calves on the vanOrman farm? I enjoyed the story very much even though I never before have witnessed a rooster attack someone with two legs and sandles. We really enjoy keeping up with your activities and keep you in our prayers. May God bless you this day! Sarah VanOrman

Rebecca said...

Goodness me!!! I am glad that such a rooster will have been sent off to his eternal home.