Wednesday 8 February 2012

Update on Summer

Thanks to many of you who have read our blog and been praying for Summer.  She returned to Uganda after spending almost a week in Kenya having tests done. She stayed with us last Thursday night before heading up to Kitgum with a MAF flight on Friday morning.  The first time she came down with the bus and said never again...Praise the Lord for MAF!  I am not biased at all of course. :)

I was going to give you a summary of the last update I have on Summer but I think it would be easier to use her words so here they are....

I want to thank you once again for taking the time to lift my health up in prayer. It has definitely been a test in who I will trust, man or God. While we all understand that doctors are helpful and on many occasions necessary, there are times where they do not have the answers {after all, they are limited in their knowledge in light of an all knowing God}. With that said, we are still without any concrete diagnosis for my current health situation. After extensive testing--endoscopy and colonoscopy and a battery of blood tests it was concluded that I am malnourished--which is obvious to anyone who sees me. But what is causing my body to be unable to digest/absorb nutrients? On my last day in Nairobi I was able to see a British nutrionist that believes that there are a few crucial links. One, the ongoing battle/treatment of tropical diseases that my immune system has a hard time fighting off. And secondly, what they call 'secondary lactase deficiency' which is a result of multiple infestations of giardia and amebas over the years. I have started a lactose free diet which so far seems to have helped immensely with the stomach pain/cramping. I am taking iron due to iron deficiency anemia, calcium, fish oils probiotics and a super food called spurulina. All of this coupled with a high calorie diet and a lot of rest is meant to boost my immune system, replenish good bacteria and get my body out of its malnourished state.

Added to this challenge is that Summer and Zane live in Kitgum and so the much needed "extra" things she needs are not available.  Unfortunately there is no Tesco or equivalent where they are.....wow wouldn't that be nice on some days :).  However, between people visiting and space on a MAF flight these things can be flown up from Kampala.  Please continue to remember Summer and her family in prayer as they go through this together.  Thanks :)

No comments: