Monday 28 November 2011

Rain, Rain and more Rain

This month we have seen a lot of rain.  This morning when I took eight children to school the road in the valley was pretty much impassable.  The water was up to the windscreen of a small bus and one car was already on its side.  I was so grateful I didn't have to go that way.  As I passed that way on the way to pick up the children the field next to the road was basically a lake.  It is going to take a while before all that water recedes.  With all this rain comes bad roads or inpassable roads and collapsed houses.  As I drove today I saw people putting sandbags in front of their shops and houses so that the water wouldn't enter.  I guess too much of a good thing can also be a bad thing....in the dry season we are glad to see the rain.

We are also experiencing a lot of power outs sometimes 24hrs at a time.  This has had a detrimental affect on businesses who rely on power to get their work done.  It is getting to the point whereby when we have power it is a bonus.  The reasons for the power shortages are as long as a piece of string so I won't even try to explain.  Last week there were some demonstrations in town as people become ever more frustrated at the situation. 

On a different note...Simon is currently off to drier climbs.  He is spending a week in Juba and will return on Friday.  Due to changes in how we have to do our flights in South Sudan this has meant more work for the MAF team in Juba.  Because of this some of our MAF Uganda staff are going up there for one week at a time to do various jobs.  We will see what Simon gets up to whilst he is there.  No doubt he will get a project or two :)

Work for me has also increased this month.  I have gone from teaching two Bible studies to four.  The international ladies Bible study has grown so we decided to split it into two groups so it doesn't become impersonal.  This means that I teach two on a Wednesday morning.  On a Thursday morning I go down to the MAF Guesthouse and teach the staff there and then once that is finished I head to the MAF office to teach one there.  Thankfully I have made Friday my day off.  My brain is pretty much "mince" by then so its a good thing nothing is normally scheduled.  It has been a blessing and privilege to teach these Bible studies and to have ladies from outside of MAF come and join us.  This helps us to not become too insular :)

Along with all of that I keep my hand in member care.  Sometimes it is just connecting people so that they can talk to the right person; other times its going out for coffee and having a chat with somebody.  Just this week there was a request (outside of MAF) for somebody who needed a counsellor.  The staff member who needed some help had undergone a severe trauma.  We will see if our contacts can start the process of helping this person.

Joshua and Zara are doing well.  They keep very busy with school commitments, clubs and, of course, their social life.  This week Joshua is taking part in a play at school.  He has a dancing part in the play and also has to dress up like an old man.  Rather him than me :)

If you think of it pray for Simon in Juba and for us in Uganda.  Pray nothing breaks while he is gone :)  Our car has undergone a few replacement pieces last week.  It is showing its age (20 years) but after some work it has burst into life again.  Pray that it has no further problems this week. :)

No comments: