Wednesday 3 March 2010

Photo update of my trip to Congo

Sheryl Strietzel and I with whom I stayed with during my visit to Bunia. Sheryl and her husband are friends of ours who have been in MAF for many years. They are the Programme Manager family for the East Congo programme.

Some of the beautiful scenes on my flight back from Congo


In comparison our flight to Congo which was fraught with rain and storms....a different picture altogether.


Sheryl and Lary's home in Bunia. They are often without power and the water needs to be boiled before even going through the water filter due to typhoid. Even we don't have to boil it first here in Uganda.




It is difficult to see in this picture but these three ladies were colourfully dressed. Congolese love bright colours. Behind them there is a man building a house out of local bricks.



This is the road to Lary and Sheryl's house



Another road to one of the other MAF family houses. This picture doesn't do the potholes or the gradient justice.




This is the main street in Bunia. On the right there is the UN. The car in front of which you can just see has a problem with its exhaust box as its dragging on the road. The owner didn't seem to mind as he continued driving.



This is also the main part of Bunia town. In the centre of this picture is the main market. You can even exchange money on the roadside here with Congolese currency piled high for all to see.


Another angle of Bunia from the air when I was flying into Congo


On the way home flying over Lake Albert. The middle of the lake is the border between Uganda and Congo



This was the MAF plane that flew me to Congo. I was grateful I didn't have to drive there as it would probably be a two day drive. It only took me about 1 hour 15 minutes in the plane!














No comments: