Wednesday 23 January 2008

Mud glorious Mud!!

We had a contest with the children regarding who had the muddiest shoes/sandals.

I wish you could have seen the back left wheel on the edge of the slope. One of our friends said that I was choosing the very quick way down to Kampala...not by choice I have to confess! Do you like the barefeet? Some people pay lots of money for mud on their skin. This was all free with a plentiful supply of it too.


We had the small landrover attached to the tree while we were pulling it out so that it didn't slide along our car or push it further towards the edge.

Our friends Prado pulling our car out the mud! Hallelujah

Yesterday I had my first rainy season challenge. There had been a new layer of murram (soil) laid over one of the roads that I use. It hadn't been compacted yet and was very soft because of the rain the previous night. As I drove along the car decided to go its own way. Fortunately it stopped in time with the back wheel on the edge of the slope. I got all the kids out of the car and phoned one of the MAF families to come and pull me out. Unfortunately his car didn't make it past mine but slid into it instead. To cut a long story short another two MAF cars came to pull us out with the help of tow ropes that were attached to some trees to stop us slipping over the edge. As you can see from one of the pictures I gave up on my sandals as they were getting stuck in the mud. The Operations Manager drove me and the children to school. Thankfully not too many people saw me arrive at school all muddy and barefooted to drop off some muddy footed children. The pictures tell a better story although the mud doesn't look quite as bad in the photos. I will let you use your imagination.... We give thanks that God protected us during this event as well as another MAF car that got stuck at the same place 1 hour earlier.

4 comments:

Mama in Uganda said...

We have ten more days in America until it is time to step back into the wild Ugandan life! Hey, how is the fuel/food situation?

Simon and Pam Wunderli said...

On occasion there have been warnings about no fuel but recently it has been fine...food seems to be okay too. Look forward to catching up when you get back. Enjoy these last days in the US!

Cydil said...

That mud looks like it could leave some serious stains! And yes, it looks bad enough in the photos, but we'll take your word for it!

bug seth tua pip said...

you guys have all the fun!