Wednesday 22 August 2007

Chicken run

Joshua and Zara helping to herd the chickens back into the coop


These are the three rebel chickens. The took a bit more persuading to return to the chicken coop.


This is stumpy the chicken as he doesn't have a tail


We were just about to sit down to have breakfast when Joshua and Zara started shouting that the chickens were out. All thoughts of breakfast were abandoned as we headed outside to round up the chickens. If our neighbours could see us they would have had quite the sight. Not only were we chasing the chickens back into the coop but we were all in our pyjamas!!!

As I write this post the chickens are out again. Zara came in crying to tell me. I thought she had fallen or she had touched a prickly caterpillar but no she was just so upset that the chickens got out again. Simon is now clipping their wings so their escape will not be so easy. They need to put their energy into laying eggs not escaping their coop. At the moment only 2 out of 10 are laying and making a great noise when they are doing it too! What its going to be like when all 10 start laying I hate to think. Having said that its great to have fresh eggs every day.

2 comments:

Cydil said...

Wow! Simon is a jack-of-all-trades! I don't even know how you begin to clip chicken's wings! I imagine Zara will really cry then.

Simon and Pam Wunderli said...

I wish I could tell you there was a fine art to it but its just a pair of scissors and then start trimming. Catching and holding onto them can be the biggest problem. When I went out to help he was almost finished but it did look like a massacre had taken place with all the clippings lying around. Just another day in the Wunderli household :)